May 12-14, 2023
Celebrating its 78th year, Winthrop Washington’s ’49er Days is a western heritage celebration of our rich western and horse history. The event kicks off with the annual Ride the Rendezvous, a week-long horse packing excursion through the Methow Valley high country which ends Mother’s Day weekend. (Contact woga.org to join in this event) As the horse-train enters Winthrop on the final day, the community comes out to celebrate its arrival back home. If you can’t attend, the parade will stream live on our Facebook page.
On Saturday, Winthrop celebrates its rich Western history with a grand parade including the largest representation by horses of any parade in Washington State. Saturday is full of activities for the kids, the cowboys and the cowgirls. Learn more about the history of the event here.
On Sunday, the cowboys help you celebrate Mother’s Day with more events and activities. All the events are open to the public. Don’t miss this historic celebration!
’49er Days Schedule of Events:
Thursday, May 11
- 6 pm Join the pack string along the Ride to Rendezvous for a cowboy dinner and camp fire $25 per person. Contact WOGA for more information.
Friday, May 12
- At noon on Friday, May 12th, the annual Ride to Rendezvous wagon train arrives in downtown Winthrop. Come and watch the horses and wagons ride through town after spending five days on Methow Valley’s backcountry trails. Sponsored by Washington Outfitters and Guides Association (WOGA), the arrival of the horses and wagon trains mark the beginning of Winthrop’s Old West celebration.
- Look for Grand Lady & Marshal Marva & Jim Mountjoy as well as our junior royalty Jadyn Mitchell, Elanna Doran, Bailey Thomson
Saturday, May 13
- 10:30 am: West Coast Country Heat Street Dancers perform and a live reenactment of a wild west shoot-out on Riverside Ave.
- 11:00am: The ’49er Days Parade begins through main street with more pack strings than any parade in the state, plenty of horses, floats, a band, old-time vehicles and much more. It is free to join and view the parade!
- Following the parade, from 12:00 noon to 2:00 kids can join in old fashioned games in front of Sheri’s Sweet Shoppe at no cost.
12:00 PM EGG TOSS
12:45 PM PIE EATING
1:30 PM HULA HOOP
2:00 PM EGG RELAY
2:45 PM ROCK PAPER SCISSORS
3:15 PM GUMMI BEAR SPITTING
AGE GROUPS: UNDER 10, 11-14, 15 AND UP
Activities in the Mack Lloyd Park starting at 12:00 noon:
- Beginning at noon in Mack Lloyd Park, The Winthrop Kiwanis will offer barbecue pulled pork sandwiches until 2:00 p.m. or until they sell out.
- Noon-4 pm Food vendors will line up along Riverside Avenue (the main street in Winthrop. Enjoy food from Mountain Meals Catering, Saskatoon Kitchens, and the Methow Valley Ciderhouse smoker available for purchase. Enjoy stage coach rides running every five minutes on main street thanks to Styeve Verralman.
- 1 – 4 pm WOGA members will gather for visiting, festive old-time music, stories and untold other adventures. Friends and families are invited to stroll through the park all afternoon and visit the Displays and try a taste of Dutch oven cooking. The band shell will feature a remembrance ceremony for Fred Duzan and Ray Al Suzy. There will be an open mic at the Mack Lloyd Park band shell- Cowboy songs and poetry.
- 1-4 pm The Mountain Man camp will be staged at Pine Near RV Park this year. This is sure to be enjoyed!
- 1-5 pm enjoy mechanical bull rides on Riverside Avenue at no charge.
- 5:00pm-6:30pm: Outfitter Dinner in Mack Lloyd Park, steak, BBQ and dutch oven fixings, cost $25.
- 6 – 7 pm Line Dancing Lessons on Riverside Avenue provided by West Coast Country Heat.
- 7:00pm Street dance at the north end of Riverside Avenue featuring The Wild Turkeys. This will be a lively, family-friendly, hootin ‘n hollering time! Enjoy fresh brews at the Old Schoolhouse Brewery beer garden. The chamber requests a $10 donation for each participant to cover the cost of the band. Ages 12 and under are free.
Sunday, May 14
In Mack Lloyd Park
- 8:00am -10:00am: Mother’s Day cowboy breakfast in Mack Lloyd Park, cost $10 hosted by Washington Outfitters and Guides Association
- 10 am Packing Demonstrations
49er Days Announcements:
Please visit the Washington Outfitters & Guides Association website for more details on the Ride the Rendezvous and the history of this fine organization. Vendors should also contact WOGA.
Presented by: Winthrop Chamber of Commerce and Washington Outfitters and Guides Associations