May 11 -13 , 2018
Celebrating its 73rd year, Winthrop's 49er Days is a celebration of our rich western and horse history. The event kicks off with the annual Ride the Rendezvous, a week-long horsepacking excursion through the Methow Valley high country which rides May 8-11. (Contact woga.org to join in this event) As the horse-train enters Winthrop on the final day, the community comes out to celebrate their arrival back home.
On Saturday, Winthrop celebrates it's rich Western history with a grand parade including the largest representation by horses of any parade in Washington State. Saturday is full of activities for the kids, the cowboys and the cowgirls.
On Sunday, the cowboys help you celebrate Mother's Day with more events and activities. All the events are open to the public. Don't miss this historical celebration!
Schedule of Events:
Friday, May 11
- 12:00pm Noon the Ride to Rendevous teamsters and horseback riders will kick-off ’49er Days by riding into downtown.
- 7:00pm Coronation of the Royalty, live music, line dancing and historic celebration at the Winthrop Barn
Saturday, May 12
Activities in Downtown Winthrop
- 10:30am: Vigilanties and West Coast Country Heat perform downtown in front of Jacks Saloon.
- 11:00am The ’49er Days Parade begins through main street with more pack strings than any parade in the state, plenty of horses, floats, a band or two, old-time vehicles and much more. It is free to join the parade! Parade application can be found here.
- Following the parade at 12:00 noon kids can join in old fashioned games in front of Sheri's Sweet Shoppe including egg toss, pie eating contest, international gummy bear spitting and more.
Activities in the Winthrop Park and Barn starting at 12:00 noon through the afternoon:
- Outfitter Display Camps and Packing Demonstrations
- Tomahawk throwing and bow & arrow target
- Crafts and Merchandise Vendors
- 12:00pm -2:00pm food services available in the park. Hot Dogs and Brats provided by the Methow Valley Snowmobile Assocaiton, pulled pork by the Kiwanis.
- Live music
- 5:00-6:30pm Outfitter Dinner in the Park, steak, BBQ and dutch oven fixings, cost $25.00
- 7:00 - 9:00pm "Around the Campfire" cowboy poetry, music and stories. In the Barn, cost $10
- 9:30pm Country Western Family Dance in the Barn, cost $7
Sunday, May 13
In the Winthrop Park
- 8:00am -10:00am: Mother’s Day cowboy breakfast in the Winthrop Park. Cost $10.00
- 10:00am- 2:00pm Live Auction and State Packing Competition. Competitors will show how fast and well they can wrap gear and load a mule.
Please visit the Washington Outfitters & Guides Association website for more details on the Ride the Rendezvous and the history of this fine organization. Vendors should also contact WOGA.
2018 49er Parade Entry form can be found here.
Sponsors of this event include:
Washington Outfitters and Guide Association, Coldwell Banker Winthrop Realty, KOZI Radio, Miss Kitty's Old Time Photos, Donna Martin Dressmaker, Three Rivers Hospital and the Winthrop Chamber of Commerce.